Sunday, March 2, 2008

Burnin down the house...

Seriously, I almost burnt my house down on Saturday. I was heating up some wax on the stove (for an object lesson I had planned for my young women's class the next day) and wasn't paying as much attention to it as I should have been. I heard a noise that sounded like somebody was lighting a gas grill and turned around to find a pot of fire on my stove! I kinda freaked out a little and completely forgot everything I've ever learned about smothering an oil fire with the lid or putting baking soda on it... instead I did the one thing that you shouldn't do: poured water into it. The flame kindof exploded on me and I dropped the pot on the linoleum. Luckily by this time James had walked into the room and was smart enough to take the pot-o-fire outside and let it burn out. The result of this little mishap was that I got some nice little burns all over my thumb and index finger, the ceiling now looks like it was painted with charcoal in quite an artistic way, and there is also melted spot in the middle of the kitchen floor. Needless to say, I think I've learned my lesson and won't leave hot pots of wax or oil on the stove unattended anymore, and if there ever is another fire-pot incident, hopefully I'll remember what you're supposed to do and not do the opposite!


The ceiling above the kitchen sink.The lovely new hole in the linoleum.

The black on the ceiling was not confined to the kitchen only, it's black all throughout the living room too!

5 comments:

Erin Hoy said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I hope that you are ok (by the way - sorry I missed your lesson... I was sick... BLAH) Anyway - so ummm can you email me those totally awesome pictures we took on Friday :) THANKS! Hope you are ok!!!

brooke said...

Whoa! Christy can I just say that I'm so glad you are okay? That is so scary! I can't believe it did that much damage to the ceiling! Thank goodness you weren't alone! I probably would've spaced too, I'm bad under pressure. It will be an awesome memory to look back on I'm sure.

*katie said...

Whoa that's a black ceiling! If you want some help cleaning it, I'm sure David and Ethan would be great help;)

Tiffany said...

That stinks. I am happy that you are okay though.

Sarah said...

That's insane! And I'll bet your heart was totally racing too. I get weird in situations like that too, like I'm all of a sudden like a chicken with her head cut off!

 
Copyright 2009 LaLa Land